Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Luna Lovegood's Jewelry.


I crafted Luna Lovegood's jewelry for my costume durring this past Halloween. They were a pain in the butt, but came out marvelously! Did you know the actress who plays Luna constructed her pair herself! I knew there was a way I could make my own pair, I just had to figure it out. And so, I want to share some of my WIP photos and explain a little how I accomplished those complicated Dirigible Plums.


PhotobucketPhotobucket


It was important to me that I had round earrings. So, I started by winding a small piece of red yarn to use as my base and I secured it with some fabric glue. I then took a needle and strung the bead wire though the center. You will have 2 wire ends. One you will string beads, the other is used to connect to the actual earring. So leave enough to work with. Next, I started winding the clear beads from the bottom. This is actually the most difficult part. Getting your wire to wind in such a small circle. I used fabric glue to adhere the beads to the yarn. It's the only way to get them to stay. It actually works really, really well. Once at the top I wound the beads as closely as I could. I cut my wire and try to tuck it into my yarn base, and secure it with glue. Now you have only 1 wire end left.


I used a different type of wire for the leaves. One that will hold when bent. I then constructed the leaves, they have a small loop at the top center. I looped them onto the remaining wire. I didn't really follow any particular pattern, they just needed to resemble leaves. I shaped the wire to my liking. I added a few beads to my wire and then looped the wire around the earring. I used a small closing bead (the ones you can crush with pliers) to secure it, then tucked the remaining wire into those last few beads.

I hope this is a bit insightful. If you're wanting to tackle this project yourself, feel free to message me with any questions. I'd be happy to help!

It was also important that I got her necklace as accurate as I possibly could. I think I did a pretty fine job. I've been selling Luna necklaces in my Etsy shop. Keep checking, I'll be relisting them soon.

2 comments:

isabel said...

how did you make the yarn base? is it solid ? can you pleas email me at isabeld.lee@hotmail.com with more instructions please ant thank you oh and i love them!!!

PosiTori said...

Sorry for seeing this so late. For the yarn base I just wound up yarn as if to start a ball and then I added fabric glue all over the outside of it to keep it from unraveling. While the glue is still sticky I then wound another strand of yarn around that to make it look nice. That's the result you see in the photo. I hope this helps!